BRIDGES TO NOWHERE
DAFEN VILLAGE (WANJIANG DISTRICT)
Progress encroaches to the very edges of ancient craftsmanship, and though village planners have maintained these links to history, the bridges of Dafen are mostly aimless.
LIANBU BRIDGE (CIRCA 1522-66)
ZHONGDE BRIDGE (CIRCA 1522-66)
QINGYUN BRIDGE (CIRCA 1573-1620)
THE FORGOTTEN GENERAL
HUANGDONG VILLAGE (FENGGANG TOWN)
OLD HOME OF HONG QUANFU
LEGEND OF THE DRAGON HEAD
SHANGJIA VILLAGE (WANJIANG DISTRICT)
DRAGON HEAD TEMPLE
LOST IN THE JUNGLE
NIUGUOMENG VILLAGE (CHASHAN TOWN)
Most of what is left standing are fortifications. This watch tower (above) and what is left of its curtain walls (below) are the highlights of the village, but also standing is the Mai Clan Temple and two old gates (not pictured).
SHIELDED BY TURTLE SHELL
SHUIWEI VILLAGE (HUMEN TOWN)
THE PRINCE’S MARK
AS THE WATERS ASCEND
YANWO VILLAGE (SHIPAI TOWN)
For hundreds of years in the times of the Ming and Qing Dynasties (1368-1911), red stone was chiseled from the red rock in Shipai. It’s how the town’s name, which means “rows of stone,” came to be. Pocketed through the area are hidden quarries, with one large site taking notice from historians and a bygone merchant.
Over the centuries leaders from imperial and modern Chinese officials halted the excavation of the stone that was shipped throughout the region to Guangzhou, Foshan and Zengcheng by way of the Dongjiang River. For 16 years starting from 1628, 59 years starting from 1736, and then twice in the modern era, work was halted, with mining stopped now since 1999.
Local Shipai residents say the stones were used last to repair the retaining wall and doors at the tomb of the Nanyue King, China’s second emperor Zhao Mo, after his untouched burial mound was discovered in 1983.
By Stephen O. Roberts with reporting by Tracy Lu
Read the article in Chinese.